ANALYSIS: TOWARDS A NEW GLOBAL GOVERNANCE*
Mi name is Abel Pérez Zamorano, and I am from Mexico. I am member of the National Directorate of the Movimiento Antorchista Nacional, and a professor, teaching Political Economy at Universidad Autónoma Chapingo.
I JUST WANT TO BRIEFLY HIGHLIGHT SOME OF THE MAIN FEATURES OF PRESENT GLOBAL SYSTEM OF GOVERNANCE:
- -It emerged from Bretton Woods, and it was imposed by force at the end of the Second World War, based on a unipolar power. Depends on invasions and constant wars of conquest, as in Kosovo, Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, Libya, and since 2014 the NATO aggression against Russia in Ukraine, and nowadays the attack on Palestine. Also resort to terrorism like in the North stream gas pipeline. Western war industry is another fundamental factor.
- -It is supported by the power of global finance institutions, transnational monopolies, and conditional credits granted by the IMF, through which poor countries become hostages; their currency is frequently controlled by dominant powers, like France in Africa. The colonial system still works in many countries that are allegedly independent.
- -Economic sanctions are fundamental, like in Cuba, more than fifty years; or in China, Russia, Iran, Venezuela, and North Korea; but these actions have essentially failed: most of the punished countries are recovering with stronger economic momentum, remarkably Russia, whereas Germany, for instance, is in serious economic trouble.
MI SECOND POINT, THE RESULTS OF THE PRESENT ARRANGEMENT
Some examples of the most remarkable are as follows.
- -An unfair income distribution, with hundreds of millions of human beings worldwide starving, and on the other hand, “The world´s 500 richest people became $1 trillion richer last year” (Bloomberg, January 2022).
- -Amongst countries, just a few of them have accumulated wealth; in contrast to the immense majority that have become more and more poor. The center-periphery relation remains, even more profound, impeding development, and condemning poor countries to export primary goods, to depend on foreign technology, and massive migration, for example from Mexico and Central America to the United States.
- -Finally, it causes global pollution, massive destruction of natural resources, and climate change, caused by an irrational capitalist production, controlled by Western transnationals.
So, as practice is the criterion of truth, the current model of governance has failed and must be replaced with a better one. This is not just theory or a dream of justice, but a real necessity. Life itself is demanding a structural economic and political change.
FINALLY, SOME CARACTERISTICS REQUIRED FOR A MORE HUMAN GLOBAL GOVERNANCE
- -First, to limit imperialist dominion on developing countries. The institutional alternative of support already exists: It is BRICS and the New Development Bank, politically based on the strategic alliance amongst Russia, China, India, Iran, and other important countries.
- -The new global model must be multipolar, with cooperation and dialogue instead of war; not veto power and horizontal relation in making decisions, independent monetary policy of developing countries, a fair distribution of wealth between persons and countries, and elimination of colonialism, as it is already happening in Sahel.
AS A CONCLUSION
Imperialism, as described by Lenin, dominates the present model of governance, and is the real cause of global injustice. To stop it is not a utopia; in practice, there is now an ongoing process, impossible to stop.
Consequently, the full accomplishment of a friendly world will be achieved only when capital do not rule anymore behind official governments, and when social necessities and their satisfaction inspire economies, governments, and international relations. But imperialism will resist, as it does. Its halt is the task of every society through its own and creative effort. For that purpose, a fundamental condition is social organization in political parties with clear class and ideological identity.
I appreciate your attention.
Thank you very much.
Presentation by Dr. Abel Pérez Zamorano, economist and research professor at DICEA UACH and representative of Mexico at the "Dialogue of Think Tanks of the Global South", held in China.